Time Frame: 3 days (18 hours)
Cost: £175 per person
- The ability to act safely and effectively when an accident or emergency occurs.
- The treatment and priorities of care for an unconscious patient.
- The recognition of cardiac arrest and delivery of cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR).
- The ability to safely and promptly treat a patient who is bleeding.
- The ability to recognise and treat a patient in shock.
- The keeping of simple records following an accident at work.
Students will also learn to provide care for patients who have suffered a burn or scald; injured bones, muscles or joints; been poisoned by ingestion or inhalation of a substance or gas; suffered an injury to the eye; signs & symptoms of a major illness e.g. heart attack.
Candidates are required to undertake an assessment of knowledge and practical skill application on the final day of the course by an approved assessor who is independent and has not taken part in any of the training.
Pre requisites: Due to the nature of the providing workplace first aid at this level the selection of suitable workplace first aid candidates will depend upon a number of factors. These include:
- Reliability, disposition and communication skills.
- Aptitude & ability to absorb new knowledge & learn new skills.
- Ability to deal with an emergency situations in a calm and controlled manner.
- Normal duties: These should be such that the first aider may be able to leave their normal duties immediately to provide emergency care to an ill or injured worker.